The Black Bull
Taigh-seinnse Black Bull
The Black Bull Inn was founded by the Highland Gaelic Society in 1759, paid for by the proceeds taken at 9 sermons preached in the Cathedral yard by the famous preacher Rev. George Whitfield. The Inn was an important stage-coach post which stood facing Stockwell Street where Marks & Spencers now stands at the corner of Glassford Street. Robert Burns stayed at the Black Bull Inn (Taigh-seinnse Black Bull) in 1787 and 1788 and wrote his letters to ‘Clarinda’ there. The income from the Inn was used to fund the Society’s school of the children of Highlanders.